Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Yes, I am asking you for money but...

While I am really excited to start talking about some of the topics that everyone has suggested, and the different ways that Social Media is affecting our daily lives (often in negative or uncomfortable ways), I am going to pause for a second to offer a more positive example of how Social Media has helped me. This year I am walking for the second time in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure. Along with training to walk sixty miles, I also am tasked with raising $2,300 in the fight against breast cancer.

Last year I had a lot of success with fundraising through Social Media. I was able to use Facebook to share my progress and used a widget to promote my donation site. This year I am taking this further by creating a blog to track my progress with fundraising and training, and to share my stories from 2009. You can find my blog at www.lyndsey4thecure.blogspot.com. Using this blog I can post photos and videos from last year, share the inspirational stories that I heard, and share my progress as I prepare for another great experience as a 3-Day walker. I am also going to continue to utilize Facebook and Twitter to encourage people to visit my donation site and to learn more about the 3-Day and the fight against breast cancer.

Please take a minute to visit my 3-Day blog. Also, I welcome your feedback on how you have used Social Media to raise funds or awareness for a cause that you care about. Are there any best practices out there that I should consider?

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it.Cheers for the info!!!! & This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you .........
    thanks free twitter followers

    ReplyDelete